This qualification is available in England and Northern Ireland only.
Who is it suitable for?
This Level 4 qualification (based on IMI SSC National Occupational Standards) is for technicians already competent at level 3, who wish to develop and demonstrate their competence as a senior technician and workshop controller.
Note: This qualification does not meet the competence component of the IMI SSC Higher Apprenticeship in Vehicle Maintenance and Repair.
The IMI qualification which meets the competence component requirement is:
- 600/7986/1: Level 4 Certificate in Advanced Vehicle Diagnostics and Management Competence
Technicians, already competent at level 3, will develop their competence and knowledge and understanding of:
- supporting job roles in the automotive work environment
- how to make learning possible through demonstrations and instructions
- how to identify and agree motor vehicle customer service needs
- monitoring procedures to control risk to health and safety
- diagnosing motor vehicle faults where no prescribed process or format is available
- providing technical support and advice to colleagues in motor vehicle environments
- liaising with vehicle product manufacturers and suppliers on technical matters
- knowledge of providing diagnostic equipment and technical information system support in motor vehicle environments
- knowledge of conducting diagnostic consultations with customers in motor vehicle environments
Technicians achieving this Level 4 qualification may progress into further management roles or onto further learning and/or training.
Learners achieving this qualification are required to be assessed and provide evidence of their occupational competence in the workplace, to pass IMI set online knowledge tests and written knowledge assessments.
Want to know more?
Please contact an IMI approved centre.
View this qualification on the Register of Regulated Qualifications