L3 Diploma in Principles of Bus and Coach Engineering and Maintenance (Mechanical/Electrical)
Who is it suitable for?
This Bus and Coach Engineering and Maintenance knowledge qualification is particularly suitable for people who work as a bus and coach technician and electrician, as it covers the knowledge and practical skills required for the diagnosis and rectification of more complex mechanical and electrical faults. It is also the knowledge component of the Advanced Apprenticeship framework in Bus and Coach Engineering and Maintenance mechanical/electrical pathway.
The qualification includes the following areas, the understanding of materials, fabrication, tools and measuring and how to:
- conduct inspections of buses and coaches
- diagnose and repair mechanical faults in systems and components
- diagnose and repair electrical faults in systems and components
Other skills that learners will have the opportunity gain knowledge of include how to:
- carry out scheduled mechanical maintenance
- carry out scheduled electrical maintenance
- recondition mechanical components
- recondition electrical components
- thermal joining to components
- provide roadside assistance and recovery for buses and coaches
- to install and configure ancillary systems
- remove and transport buses and coaches
Successful learners will also demonstrate a broad knowledge and understanding of health and safety in the workplace and other skills associated with working in maintenance depots.
Learners can undertake the IMI Bus & Coach Engineering and Maintenance VRQ (Mechanical/Electrical) at Level 3 as the knowledge component of the Advanced Level Apprenticeship in Bus & Coach Engineering and Maintenance mechanical/electrical pathway.
For some individuals, a Bus & Coach Engineering and Maintenance VRQ could prepare them for progression to a new role in the work place.
The assessment of this VRQ is made up of three components:
- Practical tasks
- Written Assessments
- Online testing
Want to know more?
Please contact an IMI approved centre.
The extension of this qualification was supported by Stagecoach UK Bus.
View this qualification on the Register of Regulated Qualifications