Who is it suitable for?
This Maintenance and Repair Level 2 is a flexible vocationally related qualification (VRQ) fundamentally aimed at enthusiastic young people aged 16 years old plus, who wish to develop their knowledge and understanding of the requirements of an automotive technician within the motorsport, performance road cars and/or retail motor industries. It is also the knowledge component of the Apprenticeship framework for the SEMTA Level 2 Intermediate Apprenticeship in Engineering Manufacture.
This qualification is mapped to SEMTA SSC National Occupational Standards. Learners will develop their analytical skills, enabling them to diagnose non-complex problems.
The qualification includes the understanding of materials, fabrication, tools and measuring, and the following areas of knowledge of motorsport:
- event regulations
- engine mechanical, lubrication and cooling system units and components
- fuel, ignition, air and exhaust system units and components
- inspection of a vehicle during competition
- removal and replacement of chassis units and components
- removal and replacement electrical units and components
- removal and replacement transmissions, driveline units and components
Learners also have the opportunity to gain additional knowledge of:
- electrically propelled vehicle hazard management
- routine maintenance and repair activities on electrically propelled vehicles
- electrically propelled vehicle system repair and replacement
- inspection, repair and replacement of high performance light vehicle tyres
- inspection, repair and replacement of motorcycle tyres
- an introduction to low carbon technologies in the automotive industry
Successful learners will also demonstrate a broad knowledge and understanding of health and safety in the workplace and other skills associated with working within the motorsport environment.
Learners can undertake the IMI Level 2 Diploma in Motorsport Vehicle Maintenance and Repair, as the knowledge component of the SEMTA Level 2 Intermediate Apprenticeship in Engineering Manufacture.
For some individuals, this VRQ could prepare them for progression into the workplace.
In order to successfully complete this qualification learners are required to complete a number of IMI assessments:
- practical assessments
- online knowledge tests
- and written knowledge assessments
Want to know more?
Please contact an IMI approved centre.
Declared Purpose IMIAL Level 2 Diploma in Motorsport Vehicle Maintenance and Repair
SMMT Letter of Support
IMI PB Letter of Support
View this qualification on the Register of Regulated Qualifications