Who is it suitable for?
This qualification is primarily designed to engage and motivate aged 14 to 19 year olds who are interested in learning about the maintenance of light vehicles, the various roles that are available in the retail motor industry, and would therefore like a qualification that will support their progress into the retail motor vehicle industry.
There are no formal entry requirements for this qualification. However selection criteria for entry should take into account each applicant's existing academic/vocational qualifications, experience, and interest in working in the industry sectors.
This qualification has a predominately practical approach to assessment, and includes many visual questioning techniques, which will stimulate and interest the learner.
The qualification’s combination of units provides learners with the flexibility in the choice of the areas they wish to develop their knowledge and skills in.
All learners will develop their knowledge and skills in:
• health and safety practices in vehicle maintenance
• tools, equipment and materials for vehicle maintenance
Examples of some of the unit options available follow:
• spark ignition engine systems, components and operation
• compression ignition engine systems, components and operation
• steering and suspension systems components and maintenance (4 wheels or more)
• vehicle braking systems components and maintenance
• vehicle wheels and tyres construction and maintenance
• vehicle exhaust systems components and maintenance
• introduction to low carbon technologies in the automotive industry
• vehicle electrical foundation skills
The assessments for this qualification have a practical focus and combine various assessment styles/methodologies in order to suit the subject and levels of units contained within it.
Want to know more?
Please contact an IMI approved centre.