Who is it suitable for?
This work-based NVQ is a motor industry qualification that covers activities that relate to bus and coach service maintenance technicians. It assesses the skills and knowledge that technicians working within this area need to perform their job role effectively.
The qualification includes:
- diagnosing and repairing of mechanical faults
- diagnosing and repairing of electrical faults
- inspection of buses/coaches
- evaluation and development of own knowledge, understanding and skills in the bus/coach engineering and maintenance environment
Other skills that may be required include:
- using hand tools and equipment for maintenance
- recondition mechanical components
- recondition electrical faults in systems and components
- scheduled mechanical maintenance
- scheduled electrical maintenance
- thermal joining
- driving the bus/coach for testing and vehicle recovery• providing roadside assistance & recovery
- installation of ancillary systems and components
- diagnose and repair mechanical/electrical faults in ancillary systems and components
- establishing customer technical requirements
- improving the service provided to customers
- planning and organisation of work for self and others
- supporting learners by coaching and mentoring in the workplace
- achievement of effective working relationships with colleagues
Successful learners will demonstrate a broad working knowledge and understanding of health and safety in the workplace and other skills associated with working in garages and maintenance depots.
For some learners this qualification could prepare them for progression to further learning and training. For others, this qualification could also provide a useful recognition of their practical skills and knowledge, to aid their step from one job role to another.
Learners will demonstrate their skills and knowledge by collecting evidence of their work. This evidence is usually presented in a portfolio (however your approved centre may use an alternative method). The assessor will advise learners how to generate, collect and present their evidence.
Please note: These NVQs are NOT assessed using IMI set online (knowledge) tests
Want to know more?
Please contact an IMI approved centre.
View this qualification on the Register of Regulated Qualifications