IMI Approved Centres
As an IMI Approved Centre you will have access to an extensive range of benefits:
- leading awarding organisation for automotive learning and development
- global approved centre network
- extensive range of products (Qualifications, Accreditations and Quality Assured Programmes)
- first-class customer service and industry specialist support
- access to bespoke systems and resources
- your new eligible IMI Level 2 and Level 3 students have access to IMI Student Membership
What do we offer our centres?
IMI approved centres receive a range of support specifically tailored to meet the needs of the motor industry, including:
Who we work with
We work with more than 600 approved centres to recognise and support the skills of over 100,000 young and adult learners each year.
IMI's centre network spans the UK and overseas with schools, academies, colleges, employers, vehicle manufacturers and training providers all using our learning and development offer.
We are working with an increasing number of centres and partners across Europe, Malaysia and the Middle East. To continually evolve with the marketplace, we have worked with industry specialists to develop and expand our qualifications to include options in land-based, caravan & motorhome, cycle and construction plant.
In addition, we operate in partnership with organisations such as Skillsfirst to offer a range of Functional Skills qualifications, which also form part of the apprenticeship framework. We work with the Society of Operations Engineers (SOE) to recognise individuals in the commercial vehicle, trailer and passenger-carrying industries as part of irtec accreditation.
View our Downloads section to find out more about working in partnership with IMI via centre approval.
Find out information on the cost of becoming an IMI Approved Centre here.
How to apply
- Check that you can meet all centre approval requirements using the IMI self-evaluation checklist
- Contact the IMI Business Development team on 01992 511 521 or firstname.lastname@example.org
- An IMI Business Development Manager will contact you to discuss your needs and provide advice and guidance on the approval process
- Ensure that you have everything in place to become an IMI approved centre (e.g. resources, policies and procedures)
- When you are ready, contact your IMI Business Development Manager who will help you complete your application on the IMI Centres Hub (online system)
- Upon receipt of your application, you will be sent a request for payment of your application fee (non refundable) you will also be allocated an IMI External Quality Assurer (EQA) who will review your application.
- The IMI EQA will be in contact to arrange an approval visit, during which additional support, guidance and training on IMI systems will be provided.
- Once the EQA is satisfied that you meet all the approved centre criteria, you will receive confirmation of your approval, your IMI approved centre certificate and plaque and a request for your annual fee.
- You will now be up and running as an IMI Approved Centre.
- Book any specific training requirements – e.g. Centre Management Workshop, ePortfolio training, Accredited Assessor Workshop. For details visit the Workshops and Training section www.theimi.org.uk/awarding
Note: prospective centres will have twelve months from the point of submission to achieve full IMI centre approval, after which the application will be rejected and you would be required to re-submit a new application, including the non-refundable application fee, should you wish to re-pursue becoming an IMI approved centre.
Become a Vehicle testing station
As well as being an IMI Approved Centre, you also have the option for your organisation to become a VTS site for MOT demonstration tests.
Please use the link on the right hand side of this page, titled ‘Become a VTS Site’ to access our short application form.
If you have questions, or wish to discuss any aspect of becoming an IMI Approved Centre, please contact us on 01992 511521 or email email@example.com.